Mobile Money is a fast, simple, convenient, secure and affordable way of transferring money, making payments and doing other transactions using a mobile phone.
The four (4) Telecommunication Company that offer Mobile Money Transfer services in Ghana are
AIRTEL, TIGO, VODAFON and MTN.
The above companies activities in relation to Mobile Money Transfer is regulated by the Bank of Ghana.
USES / ADVANTAGES
You can use Mobile Money to send and receive money,
Top-up your airtime,
Pay utility bills,
Buy & pay for insurance,
Pay employee salaries,
Pay for airline tickets, other goods and services.
MODE OF OPERATION OF FRAUDSTERS
- You have won an amount of Money but in order to redeem it you must transfer an
amount of money through mobile money to their Phone.
- They have mistaken transferred money to your phone so if you can transfer it back to them.
- A relative of yours abroad has sent you a parcel and in other to collect it you must send an amount of money via mobile so that they can send u the parcel or meet them at a location to collect your parcel.
- Your child is injured and has been rush to the hospital so they need money to buy his/her medication before you arrive at the hospital since it an emergency i.e. your child is dying because he or she has lost a lot of blood.
- Some fraudster pose as Mallams/ Juju men, call you phone and inform you that a friend or relative is seeking their help to either to kill you, make you seriously ill or destroy your business.
- In the case of pastors, they will call your phone to inform you that they saw your mobile number and want to pray for you, they later demand money through mobile money transfer
HOW BEST CAN YOU AVOID BEING VICTIM TO THIS RECENT SCAM.
- Always call your network provider to confirm if they are running a promotion of such nature.
- Do not transfer any money until you have confirmed with your friend or relative who sent the parcel and if you have no relative abroad ignore the call or text message.
- You can also call the toll free line to verify if there is any such promotion.
- You can call your network provider to give the number of the fraudster so they can take the matter up.
- You can also report fraudsters who pose as Mallams / Juju men, pastors to the nearest Police station.
- Call your child’s school to verify if your child is safe.
- Check balance in your mobile money wallet.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU BECAME A VICTIM
- Report to your service provider on toll free number -100.
- Report to the police on emergency number -191.
- Report to the Economic and Organised Crime Office on call centre number – 0302-665559/0302-634363.
- Location of Office- near Rex Cinema Old Parliament House.